G52 Churches Together – covering the areas of Cardonald, Hillington, Penilee and Mosspark – hosted a magnificent ecumenical service in Our Lady and St George’s Church, Penilee, to celebrate the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity.
In line with the theme for the year, The Well is Deep, the service centred on the theme of water and its life giving properties.
At the offertory section of the service, a jug of water was brought forward by a young person from each of the seven participating churches. These jugs were then poured into the one bowl as a symbol of our desire for unity.
The homily was given by Rev Calum MacLeod of Cardonald Parish Church. In it he spoke of Jesus reaching out to the Samaritan woman at the well and our need to cross boundaries of division as Jesus did.
The service was uplifting and spiritually inclusive. Thereafter, we all retired to St George’s beautiful new church hall.
All seven churches in the G52 area were represented by their priest or minister:
- Rev Ada MacLeod (Glasgow Cathedral)
- Rev Calum MacLeod (Cardonald Parish)
- Rev John MacGregor (Hillington Park Church)
- Monsignor John Gilmartin (Our Lady of Lourdes)
- Rev Christian Okeke (Church of the Good Shepherd)
- Rev Lyn Peden (St Andrew’s Penilee)
- Father John McGinley (St George’s)
- Rev Eleanor McMahon (St Nicholas, Hillington)