Pope Benedict XVI will visit Glasgow on Thursday, September 16, when around 100,000 people are expected to attend an open-air Mass in the city’s Bellahouston Park.
Thousands more are expected to line the route of the Pope’s motorcade through Edinburgh earlier in the day.
On the following day he will fly to London and will take part in ecumenical prayers in Westminster Abbey.
Glasgow parishes have been encouraged to invite members of neighbouring churches to Bellahouston. “There are many examples of ecumenical activity in connection with the visit,” said GCT’s Ecumenical Officer, Margaret Long. “For instance, Sherbooke–St Gilbert’s Church of Scotland in Pollokshields has made space available for pilgrims on the day.”
Pastoral resouces for Roman Catholics can be found at BeingCatholic.org. There’s further information at the Bishops’ Conference of Scotland and The Papal Visit, and a news monitor at Scottish Christian.
Archbishop Mario Conti on the visit…
Music for the Papal Mass
YouTube recordings by the St Mungo Singers of Glasgow and the Motherwell Diocesan Choir.
- Gloria – Newman Mass – James MacMillan
- Sanctus – Newman Mass – James MacMillan
- Memorial Acclamation – Newman Mass – James MacMillan
- Agnus Dei – Newman Mass – James MacMillan
- Psalm 22 – Mgr Gerry Fitzpatrick
- Alleluia Bellahouston– Mgr Gerry Fitzpatrick
- Grace to You – Mgr Gerry Fitzpatrick
- Celtic Innovation – Noel Donnelly
- Ninian of Galloway
- Hymn to St Andrew
- Pater Noster
- Take and Eat – Quinn-Joncas
- Where True Love – Jas Quinn SJ
- Gospel Dialogue
- Preface Dialogue
- Doxology Amen
- Lord I give my live to You (McKillop Hymn) – Peter Rose & Anne Conlon
- God to Enfold to You – Iona Community, John Bell
- Sit nomen Domini